Monday, May 07, 2007

The issue of image size

The first time I submitted a photo for publication I was literally overwhelmed by how much I didn't know about pre-press image preparation. Color gamuts, calibrations, soft and hard proofs, montior/printer/press profiles, dot gain, screens.... and so on.

I'm still learning but I'm curently working on a photo submission that has resulted in a lot of confusion over the most basic issue... size. The editor has requested a hi-res 300 ppi JPEG. Since my D2X has a 12MP resolution, full size high quality JPEGs can be pretty big.

My initial attempt to get information on image size specifics was unsuccessful so I sent full size images. The writer forwarding the images to the editor is unable to manage files this large in their email.

In an effort to explain the issue I sent them this great link at NikonDigital.info post on Image Size.

I also stumbled upon a book resource that looks interesting which I plan to read at some point.

Exploring Digital PrePress

First Edition
Author: Reid Anderson
ISBN #: 141801236X
©2007   Publish Date: 08/25/2006
Binding: SC
Pages: 320
Publisher: Thomson Delmar Learning

I've found that sometimes the people you speak with at a publication will understand their role in the image preparation process very well but have less appreciation for the steps that come before and/or after theirs. As a photographer the submission process is much easier when a publication has a well defined set of submission guidelines.

No comments: