Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Maximize Depth of Field by focusing to the Hyperfocal Distance - essential for lenses with missing DOF scales

I'm an old shooter, starting with an old Yashica manual 35mm and Rolleicord 2 1/4. My life changed and when I finally had time to pursue my photography again I was excited to pick up some new equipment. Everything seems even more expensive than it used to be and I know quality has improved (on some fronts), but I was surprised that the old Depth of Field (DOF) scales were absent on newer Nikon lenses. I understand the reason being there is no room for them. Given the importance of DOF I'm surprised the lens engineers can't provide the photographer with some assist.

Fortunately I found a great hyperfocal thread on on Nikonians and feel empowered. Add to that my new Katz Eye split prism focus screen (also discovered on Nikonians), when it comes an I'll be close to having the focusing and DOF control I used to have with my old Yashica :-/ Here are some links related to this quest:

  1. Nikonians thread on KatzEye Optics Split-Prism focus screens for Nikon DSLR
  2. Nikonians Hyperfocal Thread that inspired this blog entry
  3. Nikonians Hyperfocal charts and tips
  4. Nikonians DOF & Hyperfocal Distance by J. Ramon Palacios
  5. Nikonians Hyperfocal Illustration
  6. DOFMaster - All Articles Page
  7. DOFMaster Hyperfocal Distance Guide
  8. DOFMaster FAQ incl "Cirle of Confusion
  9. ExpoAperture Depth of Field Guide. Advertised at DOFMaster, looks neat. Here are a couple of Google hits.
  10. Online DOF table from DOFMaster
  11. Hyperfocal Forumula Page
  12. EarthBound Light - Changing Focus Screns in Nikon SLR Cameras
  13. Nikonians Hyperfocals Table
  14. Nikon knowledge database recommendation for Hyperfocal Distance Calculation
    I assume Nikon intended this answer to be for film because the D2X Circle of Confusion is 0.02mm while for 35mm film it is 0.03mm to two decimal places.
    Topic: How can I calculate hyperfocal distance?
    
    Question
    
    My lens doesn't have depth-of-field scales. How do I calculate the 
    hyperfocal distance?
    
    Answer
    
    For any Nikkor lens that does not have a depth-of-field scale, 
    hyperfocal distances can be calculated manually for any focal 
    length and aperture combination by using the formula:
    
    H = f2 / F (0.033)
    
    where "H" is the hyperfocal distance in mm, "f" is the focal length,
    and "F" is the aperture.
    
    For example, with a 50mm lens set at f/8, H = 50x50 / 8 x 0.033,
    so H is 9470mm (9.47 meters or approximately 31 feet). Setting the
    focus on the lens to this distance will render subjects from half 
    this distance to infinity acceptably sharp.
    

No comments: